Monday, May 9, 2016

Day 7 and Garlic Shrimp over Zoodles

So today is Day 7 of my Whole30 and I am still feeling good. After reading It Starts With Food and starting The Whole30 (both books written by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, aka my new idols), I was expecting more ups and downs from my first week. However, both the BF and I have been feeling pretty great.

No headaches (except that first tiny one on day 2) or mood swings. I won’t say I haven’t felt a little tired, but I haven’t been “don’t want to get out of bed” or “ready to fall asleep at my desk” tired. Overall, feeling better than I was before starting Whole30.

I know it’s still early in my Whole30 and who knows what is to come in the next three weeks, but so far, this has been a great experience!

Now, on to the recipe, which is why I know most of you are here J

Almost. Story time first!

The BF and I were visiting with his parent’s last night for Mother’s Day (and Happy belated Mother’s Day to all the mom’s out there!) and his mom mentioned Red Lobster and the shrimp scampi she had the night before (and the cheddar biscuits – I must be the only person on the planet that doesn’t like them. Sue me).

Now, even before Whole30 this was never one of my favorite places to eat out at, but I do love me some shrimp scampi. Mmmm shrimp and garlic. Does it get better than that? I think not.

So, we held off on the chicken we were planning to make (since we really had no plan for it anyway) and ran to the store to grab some frozen shrimp for this delicious and quick meal.

I hope you enjoy it too!


Garlic Shrimp over Zoodles
Shrimp photo image_zpsmi25fttk.jpeg
Servings: 2
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

  • 10 oz raw shrimp (I prefer tail off but you can always do tail on if you prefer), thawed if frozen*
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp ghee (or butter if you aren’t doing whole30/paleo)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (my garlic press is one of my favorite items in my kitchen)
  • ½ lemon, juiced (about ¼ cup)
  • ¼ tsp garlic salt (or any kind of salt – we are currently obsessed with the garlic salt from Trader Joe’s and put it on just about everything)
  • ½ tsp lemon pepper (black pepper if you don’t have it)
  • 2 zucchini, spiralized into zoodles

Instructions
  1. Heat olive oil and ghee (butter) in a large skillet, over medium-high heat until the ghee melts. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
  2. Add lemon juice and shrimp. Season with garlic salt and lemon pepper.

  3. At this point I had to turn the heat down on my stupid electric stove (came with the house and I have been dying to replace it for the last 3 years but it works so for now I live with it) to just above medium so I didn’t overcook the shrimp. Do what works best for the stove you have. I always say it's better to turn it down  and have to cook a little longer instead of burning or overcooking your food.

  4. Flip shrimp over and add zoodles.
  5. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until shrimp is fully cooked and zoodles are soft.
  6. Plate the shrimp and zoodles and don’t forget to spoon some of the lovely sauce you have floating around in the pan on top. Enjoy!
*If your shrimp are frozen, throw them in a colander and run them under cool water for a minute or so. They will thaw right out and be ready for your skillet.

Note
If you aren’t doing Whole30/Paleo, this would also be great topped with a little parmesan cheese, but was very delicious without. If you do add cheese, you may want to cut back on the salt.


Until next time,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment