Thursday, May 5, 2016

Whole30 Check-In: Day 3

Day 3 has arrived and I’m still feeling good. I had a slight headache yesterday at one point in the afternoon, but it only lasted for a minute. Before starting Whole30, I was getting headaches fairly often, something I never had much of before and that I’m hoping will subside with Whole30. So far, so good.

Cooking for Whole30 has been going great so far. I’ve tried a few new things – including cauliflower rice. We made fajitas last night (I meant to have the leftovers for lunch so I wouldn’t be tempted by the Cinco de Mayo potluck at lunch, but we had a friend over so there wasn’t enough) and I made Mexican cauliflower rice to go along with it. I wouldn’t say it was my favorite – it was missing something (probably green chilies, which my pantry is sadly lacking right now). The BF was not a fan, but isn’t a big cauliflower person to begin with. I really want to try some stuffed peppers with it, so I might just leave some without for him. Overall, a good attempt that needs a little work before you get a recipe.

I also tried my hand at some sweet potato fries. I've only recently starting eating sweet potatoes, but the BF loves them, so I gave them a chance. The ones we paired with our bun-less burgers and some broccoli were delicious, if a little spicy. Need a little adjusting to get the recipe right still, but we are on the right track!
Burger photo image_zpsdk8icsag.jpeg

Bun-less burger (and guac!!) with baked sweet potato fries

We also made our own sausage patties last night – OMG they are good! I’ll be making another batch soon, so keep an eye out for that recipe. No way these last between the two of us, especially with the BF not being a fan of eggs. These are a perfect breakfast for him with some added veggies. Funny enough, I’ve always hated pre-made breakfast sausages. I even tried the Aidells’ Chicken and Apple since they are Whole30 compliant and people rave about them and it just wasn’t cutting it for me. Making them at home was perfect!

Keeping the fridge and pantry full has been more difficult than I thought. First, I’m still getting used to what pantry staples I can have on Whole30 and need, so I didn’t fully stock up as much as I thought I had. Then, I realized I did not buy nearly enough veggies. I’m so used to having only one at a meal that I just didn’t realized the quantity we were going to need. So, hello Costco! I will be visiting you again very soon. Probably tomorrow, since I only work a half day. Which also means going into work a little late, bringing me to the biggest hurdle of my Whole30 thus far:

Eating breakfast at work.

I get up for work between 5:30 and 5:45 and get to work at 7:30. This might sound like plenty of time to get a good breakfast in, but with a commute between 35 and 45 minutes, I don’t usually have enough time to eat before I leave, meaning, I eat at my desk. Not only does Whole30 say you should be eating all your meals at a table (which I have always agreed with even if I haven’t followed it), but also that you should be eating within 1 hour of waking up.

Now, when I first read this, I thought, “I’ve been eating 2 hours after I get up forever! I’ll be fine.” How silly I was. Where I used to not feeling hungry until about 7:30 or 8, I am now, even just 3 days into my Whole30, ready to eat before I even leave the house. By 6:00, I want food!

Eggs photo image_zpsu8q6oezc.jpeg
Day 1 breakfast. I needed waaaay more to eat by day 2!

With a half day tomorrow, I’ll be able to get to work a little later, which means plenty of time to make myself a breakfast and sit down and the kitchen table to enjoy it. The weekends are easier, but come Monday, I’m going to need to try something new. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Anyone else doing a Whole30 this month? Or maybe getting ready to start one? I’d love to hear from you!

Until next time,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment